Thursday, May 14, 2009

I don't read lips. Please put down the phone and talk!

I understand that many of you people may be "busy", or at least believe that you are busy when in fact it just makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, but please put your cell phone calls on hold when you are talking to the man in the box. Every day I see many people who are in a hurry to get to the next place. They run up to the window with their cell phone glued to their head and they mouth what they need. First of all there is a very special and cutting edge speaking device built just for the box that allows you to hear me and me to hear you. When I greet you as you approach the window I would assume it would be a dead give away that this speaker will be our form of communication. And I know you can hear me when I greet you due to the fact that many people on their cell phones tell the person on the other line, who has obviously heard me, that they are just getting gas. If you are going to interrupt the conversation to say this, why not just tell them before hand and put the conversation on hold for the entire thirty seconds it will take? Then there are the "pointers" as I like to call them. You can pick these people as they "strut" up to the window with their really rad swagger. Then they throw the money in the drawer and just point. They just point in the direction of where their car is parked. This would not be a bad thing if their car were the only car at a gas pump, but this is rarely the case. More times than not, wherever this person points there will be multiple cars. At least hold up a number of fingers and give me a hint to which pump you are at and unless you are at pump one and missing every other finger besides your middle finger, don't hold up that finger. Let us not forget the texting folk. Now people talking on their phones are bad, but they are nothing compared to the people who approach the box while in the middle of a text. Not even my greeting is able to jolt them out of their trance. It is like they are on a mission and if they don't type in that final HaHa or LOL all will all be lost. It is as if everything must be put on hold for this one super important text (hopefully it is their request for fuel on pump 8). Finally after their more "important" deed is done they are able to ask for some gas. After I have stood their waiting for much longer than necessary. The man in the box is simply asking that you put your cell phone down for the short period of time you will be talking to me. It isn't like I'm asking you to not talk on the phone the entire time you fuel up, although this is dangerous and can lead to the creation of static electricity and become a potential hazard around the gasoline fumes, just while your communicating with me. Think about it.